Learn how to detect the subtle "put-downs", insults and other verbal blows that almost everyone uses—parents and children, husbands and wives, teachers and students, and friends and lovers.
Most of us are under verbal attack everyday and often don't even realize it. In The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense you'll learn the skills you need to respond to all types of verbal attack. Specific strategies fro your defense include:
* Twelve rules of clear, effective interaction
* Recognition of five verbal modes--the Placator, Blamer, Distractor, Computer, and Leveler
* Tone of voice--make yours bolder and more assertive
* Alternative scripts--better approaches to common confrontation
* Body language--how it supports what you say
* and in special chapters directed to both men and women, the author explains how women have long been the verbal victims of men and what both sexes can do to break this destructive pattern
With numerous examples of verbal confrontations and a journal to help you keep track of your progress, The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense will give you the perception you need to deal confidently in any interaction.